Skip to main content

FAQ - Unemployment Insurance in NJ

What employee types are eligible?

Salaried faculty/staff (Class 1), Short-Term Employee (Class 3), hourly casual (Class 4), part-time lecturers (Class 7), coadjutant casual employees (Class 8).

What employee types are not eligible?

Student hourly (Class 5), Teaching Assistants/Graduate Assistants (Class 6) Post Doc Fellows (Class 9).

Are benefits taxable?

Yes, they are subject to federal income taxes.

How do I file a claim?

To file a claim, contact a Telephone Reemployment Call Center:

  • Northeast NJ, 201-601-4100;
  • Central NJ, 732-761-2020;
  • South NJ, 856-507-2340;
  • or file online.

What deduction on my paycheck represents unemployment tax?

The deduction is listed as “NJ Unempl EE".

What if I was discharged from my job due to misconduct?

Three types of misconduct: simple, severe and gross. For a simple misconduct you may be disqualified from benefits for the week in which the misconduct occurred and for the next 7 weeks. After that period you may be eligible to collect benefits. For severe misconduct you are disqualified for benefits, until you are employed again for 4 weeks and earn 6 times your weekly benefit amount, and become unemployed with no fault of your own. More Discharged information on the state's website. 

What if my claim is denied?

You will have 7 calendar days to submit a written appeal.

What is the maximum benefit?

The maximum benefit is 60% of Average Weekly Wage up to a maximum amount of $696 per week (for claims filed in 2019) up to 26 weeks.

How do I get my unemployment benefits?

Direct deposit or debit card are the only methods of payments.

When should I file a claim?

You should always file as soon as possible after you become unemployed. Your claim will be dated the Sunday of the week in which you file.

Who should file a claim?

If you become unemployed for reasons beyond your control, you should file a claim. If you voluntarily resign without good cause or retire voluntarily, you may be disqualified.