We are encouraging department heads to be flexible in allowing telecommuting arrangements where feasible. Please review these tools, resources, and tips to make working remotely more effective.
Communication While Telecommuting
In situations where people may be working remotely due to COVID-19, consider these tips to maintain effective communication and productivity among colleagues. The university also has several tools available to enable effective communication and collaboration.
Tips for Employees
- Talk to your manager: Ensure your manager and colleagues know what you are working on. Check in with each other regularly.
- Agree on one team collaboration tool and virtual meeting platform: Here are some options provided by Rutgers:
– Office 365: All current faculty and staff at Rutgers have the ability to download and install Microsoft Office on personal devices through Rutgers Connect.
– Skype for Business: allows you to chat, call and meet virtually.
– Microsoft Teams: collaboration tool that is part of the Office 365 suite of services.
– Cisco Webex: Real-time video, voice, and chat communications software platform. It enables users to host and participate in virtual meetings with two or more people securely from anywhere with a reliable internet connection.
– VPN: Remote Access VPN provides connectivity that allows remote computers to behave as though they were directly attached to the campus network infrastructure.
- Be flexible with your work schedule: Communicate your work schedule. Talk to your manager about your schedule and let your team know when you are available versus when you are caring for yourself and others.
- Stay connected: Technology makes it easy to connect with your team at any time of the day. Check in with your team often.
Tips for Managers
- Getting help and support: Contact your local IT support to help team members who need technology assistance at home.
- Be flexible with work schedules: Make those hours known. Use Skype or Microsoft Teams to highlight your availability on your calendar. Work with each employee to ensure they have the technology and guidance they need to do their job effectively while working remotely.
- Be available: Be sure your team members know when you’re available and the best way to reach you.
- Connect with your team: Establish one team collaboration tool within your team to maintain communication so everyone knows how to stay connected and updated. Continue team meetings and one-on-one meetings with team members. Move these meetings to Cisco Webex or Skype as appropriate.
- Set the example: Reinforce communication expectations and role model the behavior. Leverage collaboration tools and encourage others to do so.
Learn about tools that can foster collaboration and productivity while working remotely.