As part of the University’s Chosen Name Initiative, effective September 1, 2022, employees will be able to designate a chosen name to be utilized in the course of university business in lieu of their legal name. If you do not wish to designate a chosen name, you do not need to take any action. Employees may elect to set a chosen name by following the steps outlined below:
- Navigate and log in to myRutgers Portal with your NetID and password.
- Select the “Employee Self Service” tab.
- Click “Update Chosen Name” which is located under the Personal Information section on the left side menu.
- Click the “Add/Update Chosen Name” button on the bottom of the screen to make the desired updates.
- Once complete, click “Save” to view a confirmation of the changes. Please note, changes may take 24-48 hours to take effect in any downstream systems.
- To view screenshots of the above steps, please download the Setting a Chosen Name User Guide.
It is important to note that a chosen name will replace a legal name in multiple administrative systems. However, not all systems utilize the same information source for an employee’s name and subsequently will not update automatically once a chosen name has been set. The following systems will be updated within 24-48 hours:
- Rutgers Search Directory
- myRutgers Portal
- Class Rosters
For consistency, employees may also wish to set a chosen name in the following platforms:
- Email (set a personalized email alias)
- Zoom (edit your profile name display on Zoom)
- WebEx (edit your profile name display on WebEx)
- ID Cards (update your RU ID through Identity and Access Management)
To view guidelines for acceptable chosen name formats, FAQs, or additional resources, please visit the University Human Resources Chosen Name webpage.
Vivian Fernández, Senior Vice President Human Resources
 Whenever reasonably possible and with limited exceptions. The use of an employee’s legal name is required for certain offices that perform administrative processes which legally necessitate the use of a legal name (i.e., payroll, W2, pension, benefits, financial aid, etc.)